Thursday, January 13, 2022

Flatbread

Credit to Pat Lahey and the NYTimes for his Sullivan Street Bakery no-knead bread recipe. I have been making this bread at home for years and thought I would try an on-the-road version except I would make flatbread instead of a loaf. So I adapted quantities to King Arthur white unbleached flour 150 grams, water 105 grams, salt 3 grams and a new to me sourdough yeast I came across recently 1/2 teaspoon. Mixed in a storage box and left it for 36 hours somewhere between 70 and 80 degrees. It rose well and looked healthy. Added some extra flour after 24 hours to inhibit stickiness. Rolled it out using a wine bottle and put it on the grill and beyond belief it blew up to the size of a small football! Filled it with scrambled eggs a la Gordon Ramsey and enjoyed brunch!